The Journey to Creating Transformative Leadership and a Continuous Learning Culture
Our journey to creating transformative leadership begins with new criteria, meaningful experiences, and smart, innovative development paths. Leaders that will succeed tomorrow are not created with systems built yesterday. Within the last 5 years, the tenacity and depth of change that has taken place in business has changed the entire landscape. To keep up with this change, and survive in a new uncertain, global environment, leadership and its development process must also adapt. And quickly.
To enable our transformative journey, one of the most critical segments is building a continuous culture of learning. So many learning leaders find themselves now having to train twice the amount of people in half the time, and usually with no additional resources. A learning blueprint that’s scalable with process and technologies that will grow with future changes and advances makes it easier to develop a community of learning that remains fresh and innovative.
Facilitating and managing new processes and strategies will be challenging as well. Leadership and Learning leaders will require new skills and competencies including a greater understanding of technology - including social, mobile, internal processes, and decision-making methodologies such as big data.
The HCI Learning and Leadership Development conference is centered on the 3 key principles to organizational success.
- Creating transformative leaders
- Building a continuous culture of learning
- Learning the new tools and kind of skill development needed for leadership and learning leaders to stay relevant
Why We Need This Now
Leadership Development Initiatives Aren’t Working
Traditional leadership development programs and training must shift to a deeper, more transformative experience that produces a new type of leader more prepared for these turbulent, ever-changing times. Graduates/alumni of the most of development programs are still not equipped to lead. Development leaders using criteria that hasn't been updated in the last 3 years will find they're looking for different leadership skill sets and are therefore identifying and selecting the wrong candidates to participate in development programs.
Confidence in New Leaders is at an All Time Low
54% of business leaders cite gaps in their leadership pipeline as one of their three critical obstacles to growth * Bersin/Deloitte
Executive confidence in middle managers continues to decline every year—from 66% in 2010 to 49% in 2012. Some believe this is due to a weaker selection in the current and potential talent pool, but the criteria used and leadership processes may be the more likely reason for failure.
Global Leadership is Faltering – The Ex-Pat Model isn’t Working
Ex-Pat model isn’t working. Difficulties arise when leaders are dropped into new cultures where there is a shift in values and beliefs. Organizations now look locally to find and hire regional leaders who can better understand and drive organizational culture and goals. But how do you still maintain the organizational values and culture?
The New, Transformative Leader Thrives in an Environment Characterized by VUCA (Volatility, Uncertainty, Complexity, Ambiguity)
- Transformational leaders reject outdated models of traditional organizational hierarchy and bureaucracy
- They proactively seeks out opportunities for collaboration
- They look for innovation wherever they can find it (regardless of rank, title)
- They demonstrate a “new” business acumen in the global business environment
The Learning Model Just Shifted
Traditional models must shift from the 70/20/10 development model and focus on more continuous “journey-like” learning & development experiences that are a continuous and dynamic process designed to combine formal with informal learning while functioning as part of the organizational culture.
The new, continuous learning culture is characterized by:
- Integration with other talent management programs and systems, applicable across the entire employee lifecycle
- Mobile-enabled learning programs that also tap into social technologies allowing for more just-in-time collaboration and on-demand learning
- Skills-based training that focuses on the critical skills for success in the VUCA business environment
- A new organizational learning blueprint that leverages learning assets to their maximum potential, and is flexible and scalable for expansion, alignment to organizational goals, and future growth
Competencies for Leadership Development and Learning Leaders are Changing Rapidly
New technologies, innovation and the fast pace of change now requires HR executives who understand and can manage new areas and technologies, such as:
- Big Data Skills — Audience analysis and segmentation
- Digital Competencies —Technological savvy, Mobile, Social, etc.
- Understand Building & Supporting Communities of Practice
Join us at the Virtual Learning and Leadership Development Event and begin your own journey to transformative change!
For additional information, or if you would like assistance with registration, please contact Shane Lennon anytime at 866.538.1909 x1904.
*Please note that not all presenters use slides, or do not give permission to distribute their presentation or video, so we are not able to provide slides and videos for every presenter. Your access to the videos will expire 30 days after they are posted for viewing.