Human Resource professionals continue to seek the Holy Grail that is employee engagement and company culture. Both are challenging to define and measure. Because human beings are involved, the target is constantly moving. Employee recognition contributes to increased engagement. If your employee reward & recognition program is not aligned with your employee engagement strategy, it might be time for a tune-up.
Here are 5 signs that your employee engagement program is getting tired:
- It’s all about the “prize”. Today’s employees are not motivated by pins, plaques and certificates that might be seen by their co-workers. In many cases, they’re not even working together in an office environment. An effective Employee Reward Program intentionally accommodates the work environment. The program process and experience should be as motivating for the employee as the reward.
- The program is in print and/or online but is not mobile. Consider these statistics: 80% of internet users have a smart phone and 34% of smart phone users ONLY read their email on their mobile device. Apps constitute 89% of mobile media time (with the other 11% on websites). If you do not have a mobile app for your Employee Reward Program or it is at least mobile responsive, it’s time for an update.
- Management is recognizing-by-rote. The Manager is not connecting the dots between the accomplishment and the recognition. It feels to employees as though management is rotating through the roster to recognize the next employee in line. For an Employee Motivation Program to be effective, the employee (and the manager!) must understand why they are being recognized and rewarded.
- Your Employee Recognition Program stands alone in your department or division. Employee recognition, reward & engagement programs all help to build and reinforce a positive employee culture. Integrating the program across the organization ensures consistency and allows you to communicate and reinforce company values.
- You’re not rewarding employees immediately enough. Gone are the days of rewarding employees for hanging around for 5 years. Today’s employers need staff performing at their highest levels. A professionally-designed Employee Recognition Program will clearly outline expectations and immediately reward employees for reaching objectives.
Employee reward & recognition programs play a critical role in employee engagement strategies. Once you decide which behaviors contribute to improved performance, reward & recognition programs are the levers that help you achieve those changes.
Working with an experienced partner to help design a program that optimizes the current technology as well as the latest motivational theory will ensure that your Employee Recognition Program will provide the highest return on your investment.