Strategic HR Leadership (SHRL) Certification
Create and grow high-performing HR teams
through intention, interaction, and influence.
This practical and hands-on course will help you to be a better people leader by improving your team's performance. You'll do real work in class, including linking your team's work to business strategy, analyzing your team's design and mapping rolls, and creating learning plans for your team. And of course, you'll practice giving feedback and coaching your team to improve their performance and engagement! You'll also receive 30 tools and templates that you can use right away to improve your leadership and your team's performance!
Increased Focus on Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Diversity, equity and inclusion are critical in today's business environment, and HR leaders are expected to serve as role models in that regard. As such, we've included new research and content focused on important topics like:
- Defining diversity, equity, and inclusion and their impact on people and performance
- Mitigating unconscious bias in the design and leadership of your team
- Recognizing and valuing the many different dimensions of diversity
- Creating more equitable environments
- Increasing the feelings of belonging in your team, and
- Building psychological safety that leads to better performance
Who Should Attend
- Anyone who formally or informally leads a team
- Anyone who wants to be a people leader in the future
- Anyone whose team's performance needs improvement
What You'll Learn
Assess Your Team Leadership Skills
- Assess the degree to which you model effective communication, maintain accountability, develop team members, and act inclusively.
- Form an action plan based on the results of the assessment.
Connect Teams to a Larger Purpose
- Communicate how the team's work affects real people within or outside of the organization.
- Articulate the business strategy and how your team contributes to it.
- Set clear expectations with a team charter.
Intentionally Design Teams
- Design a team to align with your organization's strategy.
- Mitigate unconscious bias in the design and leadership of your team.
Optimize Team Interaction
- Empower your team to choose how they accomplish work.
- Grow and reinforce a team mindset.
- Provide relevant, personalized, and continuous development opportunities to your team.
- Continuously offer feedback to your team using a three-step model with follow-up.
- Develop executive presence.
- Leverage relationships in your formal and informal networks.
- Evaluate outcomes and behaviors.
- Model the right leadership behaviors.
What to Expect
- COVID NOTICE: Due to ongoing uncertainty related to Covid-19, we encourage all in-person course attendees to avoid making non-refundable arrangements for travel and accommodations
- Select training dates and times that fit your schedule; offered as a 2-day program or as a virtual series with half-day sessions delivered over 4 weeks: learn more about the virtual series format
- Access log-in information, certification materials (participant guide and toolkit), and the exam in your MyHCI profile
- Chat and interact with your facilitator and peers via Zoom platform available on mobile or desktop for the virtual training option
- Earn your HCI certification by attending all sessions, completing all classwork, and passing the multiple-choice exam with a score of 80% or higher
- Renew your HCI certification every three years by obtaining 60 credits
- Attend this training and earn 13.5 HRCI Business credits, 13.5 SHRM PDC’s, 13.5 HCI credits, and 12 ATD recertification credits
Earn Your Human Capital Strategy Credential
This certification is part of HCI's Human Capital Academy program, designed to help you build in-demand capabilities, advance your career, and lead the future of HR. Click the link below to learn more about the other certification programs in the Academy and the special pricing available.
- Defining HR Leadership
- HR Leadership’s Pivotal Role
- The Three I’s in Effective Teams: Intention, Interaction, and Influence
- A Shared Purpose
- Building trust with a team
- Communicating purpose
- Understanding and articulating the business strategy and the team’s purpose
- Strategic alignment in team design
- Keeping expectations clear
- Drafting a team charter
- Strategic alignment in team design
- Aligning roles to strategy
- Mapping talent to roles
- Solutions to fill roles on a team: build/buy/borrow
- Leading inherited teams intentionally
- The Business Case for DEI
- Dimensions of diversity
- Mitigating unconscious bias
- Belonging and inclusion
- Creating psychological safety
- Empowering the team to choose methods for accomplishing goals
- Fostering a team mindset
- Growing a team mindset
- Empowerment to participate: Building psychological safety
- Promoting continuous learning and feedback
- Developing teams
- Why train teams?
- Matching training to team needs
- Workplace learning today/sources of learning
- Identifying learning opportunities for teams
- Reinforcing learning
- Providing continuous feedback
- Coaching as a follow-up to feedback
- Leveraging relationships within and outside the team
- Forming stronger connections with team members
- Formal and informal networks
- Barriers to relationship-building
- Expanding networks
- Evaluating outcomes and behaviors
- How organizations measure success
- Individual, team, and organizational measures
- Reward and recognition
- Modeling the right behaviors
- Team leader responsibilities
- Assessing yourself
- Action planning